HEDON, East Riding
Ravenspurn Cross TA 190 287
The medieval Ravenspurn Cross was erected to commemorate Henry Bolingbroke landing at Ravenspurn in 1399, the year he was crowned King Henry IV.
The cross was moved to Kilnsea in the 16th century to prevent it from falling into the sea, but again it was threatened by coastal erosion and in 1818 it was stored at Burton Constable Hall.
In 1827, after representations by James Iveson, Hedon's town clerk, it was taken to Hedon.