AMPLEFORTH, North Riding
Footbridge SE 598 789
In 1854, a Royal Proclamation was issued forbidding the wearing of Catholic vestments and ornaments in public. A footbridge was therefore built to link Ampleforth Abbey with the cemetery at Ampleforth Bank. A single arch spans the road and an arch is built into the bank but the arch leading to the abbey precinct has been demolished.